Baring Head Lighthouse Model
This hand-painted model depicts the original Baring Head lighthouse - the closest mainland lighthouse to Wellington City.
Before the Baring Head Lighthouse was built, the Pencarrow lighthouse originally guided ships into Wellington Harbour. When the lighthouse was complete the Pencarrow light was extinguished.
This made Baring Head the first lighthouse in New Zealand to start operating on electricity. It was initially supplied by diesel generators until mains electricity arrived in 1950. The lighthouse also initiated an electrification programme for all major lights around New Zealand and this was completed in 1957.
- Hand-painted model of the original Baring Head lighthouse
- Please note: This product is not suitable for fish tanks as it is hand-painted. The paint will come off in the water.
The model is a perfect gift for a lighthouse fanatic, nautical enthusiast or hobbyist!
Baring Head Lighthouse Model is also available for purchase in store at Wellington Museum.